Friday, June 17, 2005

Tweedy's NEXT music

Wired is kicking off their Chicago NEXTFEST event with a night of music curated by Wilco front man Jeff Tweedy. NEXTFEST is an event inspired by the old World's Fairs - a vision of the future, like a yard sale at the Jetson's. NEXTMUSIC, in the hands of Tweedy, provides a beautiful counterpoint to the glass-and-chrome future being presented at NEXT:

I love thinking about what the future holds, so I was thrilled to be invited to be part of WIRED NextFest and to share my vision of the future, said Jeff Tweedy. Which is not very futuristic really and admittedly a little bleak.

Honestly, I had a lot of trouble conjuring up a rose-hewn vision of our collective tomorrows. Instead I have focused my attention on music with the kind of sturdiness and self-sufficiency the post-apocalyptic lifestyle I'm anticipating might require. The kinds of artists making the kinds of music that won't be interrupted or even miss a beat when the power goes out.

The kind that would be fleet-footed and nimble if the Man came crashing down in the middle of the night. In other words, I pictured folk music. All there ever was in the first place.

There's not much information about who is playing the gig, but Joanna Newsom is confirmed, which would be worth it alone.

If you're in Chicago, NEXTMUSIC is 22 June at the Vic Theatre, and NEXTFEST is 24-26 June at the Navy Pier Festival Hall A.