Wednesday, June 01, 2005

moment of playground zen

Near a playground in the park blocks downtown a little girl who was maybe 4 or 5 years old, rag doll in hand, walked past me singing:

This is Major Tom to ground control, I'm stepping through the door
And I'm floating in the most peculiar way
And the stars look very different today

For here am I sitting in a tin can, far above the world
Planet Earth is blue and there's nothing I can do

My first thought was that I wished I knew more people as cool as her parents. Then I realized I wish I knew more people as cool as her. This kid is taking "young & hip" to whole new extremes.

Which reminded me that someone left a comment the other day on a post I made about 18 months ago... the post was about Salt Lake City and the punk scene that was there in the early 80s, and the commenter pointed out that the scene had already gone to hell by the time I showed up; they were in the first-generation punk scene in '78. I figure I can be forgiven for not showing up in the scene until '82, since I was 10 years old in '78, plus even if the first generation punks thought the scene was dead nobody had bothered telling the shitkickers who continued showing up at the Indian Center with baseball bats in hand well into the mid 80's.