Tuesday, June 07, 2005

interstellar coding

It's been so long since I had to program in any language other than assembly (PIC and HC11) or Verilog (fucking POS job) that I decided to look through the books and study up. It quickly became apparent that most of the languages I learned in school are archaic... even C++ seems too bogged down - the best thing it's got going for it is that it's not C. Yeah, I know they are the workhorse languages that run everything, but sheesh they are unintuitive.

Looking through the new languages, I decided on Python and Ruby, and after reading a couple of papers on each it seems Ruby fits my mindset best right now, so Ruby it is. I've been reading the pickaxe and writing some small programs, and it's so intuitive... it's almost like what Perl would be if Perl made any sense.

Today I found a great tutorial of sorts, the Art of Computational Science's Kali Code for Dense Stellar Systems. It's a start-at-the-bottom tutorial in both Ruby programming and celestial mechanics that is presented as an almost 'See Spot run' dialogue between two astrophysicists. This appeals to the nerd in me in *so* many ways.

Anyway, you have a little time before you need to phear my leet Ruby coding skillz... but don't get too complacent. Muahahahaaaaaaaa... erp.