Friday, January 21, 2005

nero, fiddle, flames

The CIA has predicted that the European Union will break-up within 15 years 'unless it radically reforms its ailing welfare systems'.

The report by the intelligence agency, which forecasts how the world will look in 2020, warns that Europe could be dragged into economic decline by its aging population. It also predicts the end of NATO and post-1945 military alliances.

My thesaurus is failing me here... I need a word that combines 'arrogant' with 'short-sighted' and 'ironic'. (My European friends inform me that the word I am looking for is 'American'.)

The report doesn't mention whether or not the CIA expects the US to still be a world power in 15 years. It does mention that Europe's Muslim population will change from 13% today to as high as 37% twenty years from now, and casually mentions that this may 'trigger tensions' and 'dramatically alter' America's relationships with Europe.