Wednesday, December 08, 2004

if only i could find a white flag

I have some confessions and observations to make:
  • I do not have the strength to be a parent
  • This appears to be also true of those who are parents
  • But they somehow manage to (barely) make it through each day
  • This feat does not appear to enrich their lives in the slightest. Sure, they'll tell you about how great it is having these little people in their lives, but never when the kids around. This appears to be the result of a form of evolutionary self-hypnosis
  • I'm the same way about university. Hated every fucking minute of it, and now I look back fondly on those days
  • Physics has a word for this process: entropy
  • Psychology has a word for it as well: delusion

I just wanted to take a moment here to thank my lovely and wise mate for not pressuring me to have kids. The kids, and ourselves, are better off for it. To those of you who do have kids, you've got my respect, but you know what? That isn't going to help you in the slightest.

Don't worry, it will all be over in 20 years or so.

For the record, I spent last night playing games with and reading stories to 2 little girls who can be charming as hell, when they're not raving psychopaths. One of the girls is too young to have much of a human interface, and the other is still young enough that when any miscommunication takes place you might as well be speaking Macedonian for all the good it will do you. And then, whether instantaneously or just faster than my weary eyes can detect I do not know, they are back to being delightfully joyous little kids. Neil Gaiman was on to something when he established a strong and unknowable connection between Delight and Delirium in the Sandman books.