Tuesday, November 09, 2004

the wild, the beautiful, and the damned

The official Ultravox website is having a competition where fans can send in covers, remixes, and original songs that sound like they should have been done by Ultravox. Lenka's got a better write-up about it than I could do, so check it out at farkleberries.

It's cool seeing so much current interest in this band, 30 years after they started. I've still got all of their albums... they don't get as much play as much of the rest of my collection, but it's nice to break out the old tunes sometimes. The early John Foxx stuff ('My sex', 'I want to be a machine') has its own feel; the later Midge Ure stuff (pretty much everything) has a different sound but was still quite good for the times. Ultravox was glam rock turned techno, and they were about 10 years ahead of the times. At least it wasn't fucking disco...

1 Comments:

Blogger Lenka Reznicek said...

How delightful! A fellow Ultravox fan!! And thank you for linking my post...
  Post a Comment
return to front page