Saturday, November 13, 2004

what have I done?

So I've written before about how much I like Califone, and I've probably mentioned the Pixies a few times, and I'm certain I've written about my friend Julie in NY. I've also posted about my unemployment, my chronic illness, and my depression. Until last night, I didn't realize that all of the above items could be combined into what is proving to be, so far, the second most lunatic travel idea I've ever come up with.

Let me 'splain:

Yesterday I started thinking about how I really need to get out of this house. (Many days it would be good just to be able to get out of bed.) Anne-Marie was planning her trip to visit her parents, and the travel idea was planted in my brain. I've long wanted to go to New York to see Julie and her sister Shelley, so what the hell, perfect excuse to get out of the house. I might even enjoy it. So I checked with Julie to make sure she'd be around when I got there, and started looking at plane tickets.

Airline prices aren't too bad right now. The flight from here to New York is only marginally smaller than the width of the continental US, so every flight I could find and afford had at least one lay-over somewhere... and for most flights that somewhere was Chicago.

Califone is from Chicago.

Uh-oh.

A quick search of the net showed that Califone and The Secret Machines (who I just saw open for Interpol) and Modest Mouse are playing on the 4th of December at the Aragon Ballroom. The following night The Hives and Franz Ferdinand, same place.

Looking over the calender at the Aragon, I saw that the Pixies are playing there all this week. I've been pretty bummed about missing them when they played here, but their visit coincided with Burning Man and sometimes you've just got to make sacrifices, you know? Checking to see where the Pixies were off to next, I found that they were playing the Hammerstein Ballroom in New York the week of 11-18 December, with the 18th being the last day of their tour.

Hrmmm.

Those shows are all sold out, of course.

Tickets are being scalped at unrealistic prices all over the place, but on eBay I found a guy who had reasonably priced tickets for the night of the 13th. Pour a little more money down the hole, and w000t, I'm taking Julie to see the Pixies.

I just locked down plane tickets to move me hither and yon. (Especially yon.) I've never been to Chicago or New York before. I'm broke and ill and probably going to get my tree-hugging Northwestern ass mugged the minute I get off of the plane, but I'm also going to see a number of awesome bands and some friends I haven't seen in 15 years.

I can hardly wait :)