Sunday, July 04, 2004

the madness of king george

So I was just about to launch into this year's tirade about the shithead in the White House, wherein I would point out yet again that the 4th of July is BULLSHIT, how the irony that we would even bother to celebrate the day we won Independence from the mad King George III, who thought the people of his country existed only to pay taxes to fund his wars, makes me want to puke.

Fortunately for you, you lucky bastards, Writermama found an article by Barbara Ehrenreich that manages to say it all without causing me to have a goddam ANEURYSM, so I'm going to just calmly point over that way and spare you the bilious invective I was preparing to unleash. Not that my rant would have done any good in the larger scheme of things, mind you, but it tends to make me feel better.

I feel like I am living in a parody of the country I thought I was in, some sort of Truman's Show make-believe land where Congress destroys the 'separation of powers' that was the keystone of the Constitution by giving the president (who thinks god is talking to him) the power to declare any war he chooses, where the vice president (who is played by Mr. Burns from The Simpsons) tells Congressmen to go fuck themselves, where the major media make 1984's Ministry of Disinformation look like a liberal rag, where anyone who dares to challenge the consensus narrative gets shouted down (or worse) by people with flags and jesus fish on their bumpers. Hooray for freedom and democracy, motherfuckers.