Friday, July 23, 2004

28 days, 6 hours, 42 minutes, and 12 seconds...

... until the end of the world. Again.

The directors cut of Donnie Darko was released in theaters in New York and Los Angeles today; hopefully it will do well enough to make it to the rest of the country. It's a complex movie, but if you pay attention it's pretty rewarding, and it has (for someone who was into goth/punk/newwave music in the 80s) one of the best soundtracks I've ever heard.

The original cut didn't compromise on integrity... no forced happy endings or tidy resolutions... so I'm interested in seeing what the director *really* wanted to do.

(One of my other favorite movies, 'Fearless', maintains it's integrity until the last 3 minutes of the film, when they fuck it all up with non sequitur action meant to give the viewers that warm fuzzy feeling inside so they'll act as viral marketers to get more poeple to come see the film. When I watch Fearless, I turn it off at the obvious original ending, right before the noncontextual ending comes on. When I get the DVD I'm going to edit those closing scenes out.)