Thursday, May 20, 2004

hard hearts in the homeland

If y'all don't mind, I think I'm just going to crawl under the covers and stay there until election day, hop out long enough to vote, then dive back in where it is warm and safe. My president and his self-righteous hatred disgust me. My country and its self-righteous hatred disgust me. The behavior of a large number of my fellow Americans, on both 'sides' (whatever that means) disgusts me - it's not just disgusting behavior for Americans, it's disgusting behavior for humans in general.

I am continually astounded at how easy it is for so many Americans to justify to themselves the most hateful and just outright fucking evil points of view, and the way they so skillfully wrap their hatred in morally superior trappings, always granting themselves absolution beforehand, makes me want to fucking puke. If your belief system is so abhorrent that you need to create a whole support structure to camoflauge the absurdities and provide some sort of referents for internal consistency or else you'd feel like a bad person, well, guess what: you *are* a bad person, and insufferably self-righteous to boot.

I live in a city where 4 out of 5 SUVs have the same two bumper stickers: one is an American flag (numerous variations on this one; "these colors don't run" is particularly popular these days, but "proud to be an American" is also well-represented) and the other says "Caution: in the event of The Rapture this vehicle will be unmanned", and I can tell you truly that these people's desire to be lifted into heaven is not a tenth as strong as my desire to see them get the fuck off of this planet.

Until then, I'm going to be right here huddled under my blankets... would one of you please come get me when all of this is over?