Tuesday, November 18, 2003

Happy Birthday Alan Moore

Today is the birthday of the wizard of Northampton, Alan Moore. Moore redefined the comics world with works like Killing Joke, Watchmen and V for Vendetta, and has been making music with David J, formerly of Bauhaus and Love & Rockets. Officially today marks the end of Moore's career in comics, so he can study magic full-time...

When I was 40, I decided to become a magician, for various reasons. Most people get to 40 and have a midlife crisis, and that's just boring. They bore their friends by going around saying, "What's it all about? What's the point?" I thought it might be at least more entertaining to go spectacularly mad and start worshipping a snake and declaring myself to be a magician. It's been immense fun. And, more than fun, it's been illuminating. It's probably at the stage now where I see almost everything in my life, and in the world around me, in magical terms.

Thanks for sharing some of that magic with us, Mr Moore. Happy Birthday.


Alan Moore, the wizard of Northampton