Monday, July 28, 2003

Gilding the lily

Putting any sort of decoration on Sharon is almost absurd... she is beautiful and graceful without any external aid. (I was shocked the first time I saw her in makeup... 'why?', I thought.) But, with the big wedding coming up, plans are being made to enhance her presence during the event, hence the flurry of dress-fittings and such. It only happens once, and they are doing it in style. I am already getting excited about it, ironing up my dress kilt and shining my boots, happy to be involved however peripherally in this ritual that my dear friends are going through. Our small contribution to the grand production is a silver and garnet necklace and pendant and possibly earrings as well. I mentioned the necklace in a previous post, and a number of people have asked for pictures, so here are a couple of quick ones. I'll document the whole project later when I have the time.

You can click on the pictures to get a larger view.

nl1


Anne-Marie made the necklace, silver links strung with garnets, moonstone, and hematite. She's been doing beadwork for years; once upon a time she was a member of an artists collective in Eugene Oregon.




nl2


I made the pendant, a faceted garnet bound in silver with some simple filigree applied. I haven't done much silver work, but I was pretty happy with the way this turned out. Anne-Marie provided useful ideas, most of which made it into the final product.